- Hits: 6442
UPDATES and Race Director Diary for those that like this kind of stuff:
- Did some trail maintenance today. Cutting back honeysuckle / removal of some fallen trees.
- Trails are perfection. No mud, no standing water. No excuses about nature. Unless you are gawking at the awesome wild flowers and a rock jumps in front of you...
- Should be PERFECT weather for running. Which will bring out the park patrons in mass staring around 10a.
- Somewhere folks have seen a 8:30a start time... this is NOT correct. 7:30a will be the start.
- Raisins, mixed nuts, PBJ, Crackers, Gatorade, water, GU Gels, granola, cheese cracker will be at the aid stations. Will be picking up fresh fruit tomorrow. Most likely apples and bananas.
- Have most sizes left except for large.
- Planning on pizza at noon.
- Feel free to email me any questions!
- Re-Opened the online registration. Mistake on my part. Sorry about that!
- We will take race day entries however if you take this option, please email me, bring exactly $25 or check written to the ORRRC. I would prefer online signup... much easier on the volunteers.
- Pacers? Sure. Please not the first loop too keep down congestion.
- At least 2 fruit choices will be available at the aid stations.
- GU Gels will also be available.
- The station will not carry anything in pill form. (Advil, Salt Tabs etc). If you think you may need this items please store in your drop bags and / or car which you will visit every loop.
- Looking forward to tonight... my last night of good sleep before I start freaking out about runners getting lost or the course flooding.
April 22nd (Race Week!):
- Spent some time at the IT100 this weekend. Muddy insanity! Great to see some awesome trail runners out there... special shoutout to Kirk R. Congrats to Andy, Gina, Dawn and Ruth.
- Completed volunteer tasks.
- Buying Aid stations items over the next few days, any special requests?
- Down to 3 larges left... hurry hurry.
- Great news! The trail system still exists and is not a parking lot... yet.
- Please try to finish in under 9 hours.
- There can be a few muddy section on the course but mostly you just deal will standing water and streams if it's wet. The trails are mostly packed rocky soil that drains very well. It is not a slip N slide course but is highly technical. (I did the YUT-C 50k last year if you have ran that course... this is equivalent in rockiness)
- Phil and Andy H round out some more volunteers.
- All sizes still have at least 6 remaining
- Only 17 Days out!
- Thanks to Todd and Jerry for offering their assistance!
- Here are some more pictures from last year
- I will be posting what sizes are remaining this weekend
- I also want to thank the ORRRC members for allowing me to put this race on! It's great when you can put on a race without monetary concerns. With all these "for profit" races poping up, it's great to have a grass root... low cost... for the love it... race.
- 4th set of volunteers! Dana and Helen. Awesome. Going to make this race great.
- Permits have been approved.
- Entries are now starting to happen in mass. Be sure to signup soon to guarantee your shirt size.
- Attached is a map of the parking areas. The red line is the course. For those that like to keep bags in their car this is perfect.
- I need to get out there and verify that the trails still exist! I had foot surgey in early Decemeber and been laid up. As far as I know the place was turned into a giant shopping mall!
- 3rd set of volunteers... Andy and Gina. Thanks! (All volunteers get glasses and the first 6 volunteers get shirts -- if I have extras everyone will get them!)
- The shirts are done and are sitting in my car. They turned out nice.
- More Volunteers... Fadi and Randy. Thanks! (All volunteers get glasses and the first 6 volunteers get shirts!)
- Finisher Glasses are here and my wife says they are cool.
- Shirts have been picked up and taken to the printers. Please sign up to get YOUR size. They are cotton t-shirts unisex.
- Some pictures that where taken in 2011... click here. The trail got worse and I was forced to use an alternate route in 2011. As you can see the course is beautiful and technical in areas.
- First Volunteer... Kyle. We thank you!
- As you can see the logo has completed.
- Permit has been mailed
- The handmade shirts will be picked up tomorrow. This year will be a 3 color....
- 2013 Edition Shirt Color: Navy / Light Blue / White
- 2012: Classic MultiColor
- 2011: Pink / White
- 2010: Red / White
- 2009: Blue / White
- 2008: Green / Blue? (I am missing this one)
- 2007: Orange / Yellow
- Also ordered the finisher glasses, excited about these.
- There was a question about the Backup date: It will have to be DANGEROUS for me to move the race to the backup date. This will not be done unless the river has covered the gorge trail and you could drown. The race will not be ran using the Mountain Bike Trails like in 2010 which, while challenging, was not the race I wanted to provide.
- Email me any questions. If you have one someone else will also.
A Great Spring Race!
- 3 mile "few mile intro" on a park road that will be done once at the beginning of the race.
- (START LOOP) The first 1.5 miles is fast and flat mostly over an old road gravel road bed with great footing and smooth sailing.
- The second 2 miles is a rocky and rooty single track as you bound along the top of the gorge. If you glance to your right, you can see the river and opposite cliff walls. If it's wet you'll cross over two waterfalls
- After a visit to the aid station (mile 3.3), a quick descent leads into 3 miles of cliffs and awesome rock features. Very technical running over and around awesome geological features. (This year we WILL be crossing over the large foot bridges)
- At the end of each loop you get 2 solid climbs of ~180' (steep rocky old steps), with a ~200' decent in 1 mile.
- Repeat Loop 3 more times. (4 total)
COURSE MAP: Interactive map. (The main loop)
WHEN: Saturday April 27, 2013. The race starts at 7:30am. (Backup date of May 4th in case of course flooding in the gorge)
PARKING: John Bryan State Park, Yellow Springs, Ohio. We will fill the main lot (I will have at least two spots coned for the course). There are plenty of side parking areas. Simple parking map. The red line is the course and the parking areas are in yellow. The course runs by all the parking areas.
REGISTRATION: Race day registration ($25) begins at 6:30a at John Bryan State Park. Email the Race Director if you want a mail in form.
FEES: $25 ($25 Race Day) includes a custom tie-dye shirt for the first 100 entries. These are NOT machined... cotton, real goodness. Please register if you plan on running.
AWARDS: All finishers will receive finisher awards.
RACE DIRECTOR: Jeff McPherson
Meet some new friends and have a great time while making a valuable contribution to the local running community by volunteering at this event. If you would like to help, please contact the race director(s) (above), and we'll be sure to find a job for you!